Ok, so someone asked me if I knew how to make the marshmallow recipe from July without using gelatin, since it is an animal by-product. I'm obviously not vegetarian, so I don't know a lot about the diet, but I hope this works for you.
MARSHMALLOW SWEETS
4 Tbsp. marshmallow roots
28 Tbsp. refined sugar
20 Tbsp. gum tragacanth or gum Arabic
2 cups water or orange flower water
1-2 egg whites, well beaten
Make up a tea of marshmallow roots by simmering them in a pint of water for twenty to thirty minutes. Add additional water if it simmers down. Strain out the roots. Heat the gum and marshmallow decoction (water) in a double boiler until they are dissolved together. Strain with pressure. Stir in the sugar as quickly as possible. When dissolved, add the well-beaten egg white's), stirring constantly, but take off the heat and continue to stir. Lay out on a flat surface. Let cool, and cut into smaller pieces.
Egg white substitute
egg white = dissolve 1 tbsp plain agar powder in 1 tbsp water. Whip, chill and whip again.
found on the web not tried it though.
Flax is also used instead of eggs. can't remember if the whole egg or just the white.
Courtesy of http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/vegex/msg111608432592.html
It talks about a few different options, but obviously, I'm not vegetarian, so I am not sure how accurate any of the info on the page it. But I truly do hope this helps you out with your marshmellow quest!
Friday, August 22, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment